This year, the Yidan Prize (www.yidanprize.org) has launched its first #EducationStorytelling campaign, in which thought leaders and educators from all over the world are invited to submit short videos, highlighting their education journey – aiming to inspire others and promote life-long learning.
The #EducationStorytelling campaign was launched on 6 November 2018 by the Yidan Prize founder, Dr Charles CHEN Yidan, through official Yidan Prize social media accounts. Dr CHEN shared his education story in a short video and invited two other thought leaders to join him in telling their stories. They were Ms Julia GILLARD and Mr Jimmy CARTER.
In the second stage of the campaign, the Yidan Prize Foundation’s digital team reached out to selected education thought leaders from around the world, inviting them to join the campaign and share their stories. Each nominee passed the baton on to two others and now we are thrilled to see that the general public has also joined the campaign.
An Illiterate Educator:
the Story of My Grandma
1. Participants must be individuals, above 18 years old only.
2. Submission timeline: 6 November 2018 – 31 March 2019
1. Record a 1-3 min video, highlighting your education story.
2. Nominate two other people you know whose education stories inspire you.
3. Upload the video directly to your personal or company social media accounts with a hashtag #EducationStorytelling and tag your nominees in the post.
1. The video shall be 1-3 minutes long, shot horizontally, and recorded in English. The video can be shot on a smartphone or any other recording device. While we recommend using a pin microphone, it’s not a must as long as you are recording in a quiet place.
2. The video should include the following elements:
- (a) Introduce yourself: mention your name, organization and position. Mention the person or organisation that nominated you to join.
- (b) Tell your story: how has education changed and/or impacted your life? Make it personal; make it count.
- (c) What are you doing now to give back: how are you supporting, working in or engaging with education right now? [or/and ‘What’s your hope, dream or desire for the future of education?’].
- (d) Invite others: nominate two other people within your network whose education stories inspire you. Name them in the video and (where applicable) tag them in the post on social media.
1. Your video is 1-3 min long, shot horizontally, in English.
2. At the beginning of the video you named the person or organisation that nominated you; at end of the video you nominated two other people.
3. The video is directly uploaded to your social media accounts with a hashtag #EducationStorytelling.
4. Where applicable, you tagged the other 2 people on social media in your post.
1. Views Expressed: The views and opinions expressed in the videos are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Yidan Prize Foundation, any other agency, organization, employer or company. The Yidan Prize Foundation team has reviewed videos that carry official Yidan Prize logo and are directly published through the Yidan Prize official social media accounts.
You shall not include any defamatory, obscene or other harmful or inappropriate content in your videos. You shall remain solely liable and shall indemnify Yidan Prize in the event of a claim that your video infringes any rights or breaches the foregoing requirements.
2. Rights Granted by you: By entering this video campaign, you understand and agree that the Yidan Prize Foundation and anyone acting on behalf of the Yidan Prize Foundation shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, video, likeness, image, statements about the campaign, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, public relations, and promotional purposes without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent. By entering this campaign, you represent and warrant that your entry is an original work of authorship, and does not violate any third party’s proprietary or intellectual property rights. If the content of your entry is claimed to constitute infringement of any proprietary or intellectual proprietary rights of any third party,we shall notify you of such claims and you shall, at your sole expense, defend or settle such claims. You shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Yidan Prize Foundation from and against any suit, proceeding, claims, liability, loss, damage, costs or expense, which the Yidan Prize Foundation may incur, suffer, or be required to pay arising out of such infringement or suspected infringement of any third party’s right. Yidan Prize reserves the right to choose its own legal counsel and participate in proceedings and all associated legal costs and expenses of such actions shall be borne by you.
3. Limitation of Liability: By entering, you agree to release and hold harmless the Yidan Prize Foundation and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from:
- (a) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof;
- (b) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment;
- (c) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service;
- (d) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion;
- (e) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
5. The Campaign hosted by the Yidan Prize Foundation is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with any social media platforms.
1. Legal Status. These Campaign Guidelines are legally binding on you.
2. Law and Jurisdiction. These Campaign Guidelines are governed by the laws of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. Any disputes arising out of or in connection with the the Campaign or these Campaign Guidelines shall be submitted to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Hong Kong.
3. No third party rights. Other than Yidan Prize and you, as a participant in the Campaign, no other party shall have rights under these Campaign Guidelines.