This December, we welcomed our 2021 laureates and shining a spotlight on their work. And we invited fellow education leaders to discuss the most pressing issues in education.
Creating connections across the global education community is one of the things we’re most proud of. We know it sparks new ideas and moves projects forward, and we can’t wait to see what follows our discussions.
Hear from our laureates and expert guests on the big issues in education
Our 2021 education research laureate, Professor Eric A. Hanushek, drew on his wealth of influential research in our panel on putting effective policy into action today. While Dr Rukmini Banerji, our 2021 education development laureate, brought decades of work closing learning gaps in India to our panel on child-centered learning.
Speakers from the worlds of academia, policy, and philanthropy also joined us for sessions on creating a better future through education and the power of learning through play at the Summit.
- Dr Charles CHEN Yidan, Founder, Yidan Prize
- Professor Eric A. Hanushek, 2021 Yidan Prize for Education Research Laureate, and Paul and Jean Hanna Senior Fellow, Hoover Institution of Stanford University
- Dr Jaime Saavedra, Senior Director, Education Global Practice, World Bank Group
- Professor Ludger Woessmann, Professor of Economics, University of Munich, and Director, ifo Center for the Economics of Education
- Moderated by Ms Barbara Bruns, Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University, and Non-Resident Fellow, Center for Global Development
In conversation with:
- The Hon. Bernard Charnwut Chan GBM, GBS, JP, Convenor of the Non-Official Members of the Executive Council, HKSAR
- Dr Rukmini Banerji, 2021 Yidan Prize for Education Development Laureate, and CEO, Pratham Education Foundation
- Professor Abhijit Banerjee, 2019 Nobel Prize Laureate in Economics, and Ford Foundation International Professor of Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Professor Esther Duflo, 2019 Nobel Prize Laureate in Economics, and Abdul Latif Jameel Professor of Poverty Alleviation and Development Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Moderated by Mr Ronnie C. Chan, Co-Founder and Chair, Centre for Asian Philanthropy and Society, and Chair, Hang Lung Properties Limited
- Mr Leong Cheung, Executive Director, Charities & Community, The Hong Kong Jockey Club, and Co-Chair, Council, United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN), Hong Kong Chapter
- Mr Andreas Schleicher, Director for the Directorate of Education and Skills, OECD
- Dr Sobhi Tawil, Director, Future of Learning and Innovation, UNESCO
- Professor Rocky S. Tuan, Vice-Chancellor and President, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, and Co-Chair, Council, United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN), Hong Kong Chapter
- Moderated by Dr Christopher Thomas, Director of Partnerships, Yidan Prize Foundation
- Professor Kathy Hirsh-Pasek, Stanley and Deborah Lefkowitz Professor of Psychology, Temple University, and Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution
- Dr Junjie Shang, Associate Professor, Graduate School of Education, Peking University
- Professor Yang Rui, Associate Dean, Faculty of Education, The University of Hong Kong
- Dr Bo Stjerne Thomsen, Chair of Learning through Play, and Vice-President, The LEGO Foundation
- Moderated by Dr Zhaoli Meng, Research Advisor, Chen Yidan Foundation
- Professor Cheng Kai-ming, Convenor, Advisory Committee, Yidan Prize Foundation