Thinking smarter and faster about learning
For every challenge we face when it comes to improving education, there are many potential solutions. But how do we make sure we’re developing the best ones—and as quickly as possible?
That’s the theme of our conference Energizing the Potential of All Learners, co-hosted with the Stanford Graduate School of Education and their Accelerator for Learning. You can download the program here.
We tackled some of our most pressing challenges
Our sessions addressed:
- What can be done to improve educational access for marginalized communities?
- Why should we invest in early childhood learning and development?
- And how do we make sure learning differences don’t limit opportunities?
These panel discussions brought together thought leaders across sectors and disciplines, presenting bold solutions for a better future. They included members of our Council of Luminaries: Dr Rukmini Banerji, Professor Carol S. Dweck, Professor Usha Goswami, Professor Eric A. Hanushek, Salman Khan, Professor Patricia K. Kuhl, and Angeline Murimirwa.
And we discussed how a theory of change can drive the future of learning
Our panel of experts—including Yidan Prize laureate Vicky Colbert—shared strategies for taking innovative ideas and scaling them for maximum impact. They were joined by keynote speaker Professor Philip Fisher from the Stanford Graduate School of Education, and moderator Condoleezza Rice, director of the Hoover Institution at Stanford University and former US Secretary of State.
Meeting our 2022 Yidan Prize laureates
After six months carefully reviewing nominations from around the world, our independent Judging Committee announced the 2022 Yidan Prize laureates towards the end of the conference.
- Marc Tessier-Lavigne, President of Stanford University
- Daniel L. Schwartz, I. James Quillen Dean and Nomellini & Olivier Professor of Educational Technology, Stanford Graduate School of Education
- Charles CHEN Yidan, Founder, Yidan Prize
- Patricia Bromley, Associate Professor, Stanford GSE; Marc and Laura Andreessen Faculty Co-Director, Stanford Center on Philanthropy and Civil Society
- Carol Dweck, Lewis and Virginia Eaton Professor of Psychology, Stanford University
- Eric Hanushek, Paul and Jean Hanna Senior Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University
- Angeline Murimirwa, Executive Director – Africa, CAMFED
- Jonathan Rosa, Associate Professor, Stanford GSE; Director, Chicanx-Latinx Studies; Co-Director of the Center for Global Ethnography, Stanford University
- Moderated by Liz Willen, Editor In Chief, The Hechinger Report
- Rukmini Banerji, CEO, Pratham Education Foundation
- Lisa Chamberlain, MD, MPH, Professor of Pediatrics, Stanford School of Medicine and by courtesy Stanford GSE
- Bruce McCandliss, Pigott Family Graduate School of Education; Professor, Stanford GSE; Member, Stanford Maternal & Child Health Research Institute
- Deborah Stipek, Dean and Professor Emerita, Stanford GSE
- Susan Bipa, Country Director, BRAC Maendeleo Tanzania
- Moderated by Patricia Kuhl, Bezos Family Foundation Endowed Chair for Early Childhood Learning, University of Washington
- Usha Goswami, Professor of Cognitive Developmental Neuroscience, University of Cambridge
- Judy Heumann, Disability Rights Activist
- Elizabeth Kozleski, Professor (Research), Stanford GSE
- Seena M. Skelton, Director of Operations, Midwest & Plains Equity Assistance Center, Indiana University School of Education at Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis
- Dennis Wall, MD, Professor of Pediatrics (Systems Medicine) & Professor of Biomedical Data Science, Stanford School of Medicine
- Moderated by Charlotte McClain-Nhlapo, Global Disability Advisor, World Bank Group
- Philip Fisher, Professor, Stanford GSE
- Vicky Colbert, Founder and Director, Fundación Escuela Nueva
- John Hennessy, Shriram Family Director Knight-Hennessy Scholars
- Sal Khan, CEO and Founder, Khan Academy
- Brooke Stafford-Brizard, Vice President, Research to Practice, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
- Candace Thille, Director of Learning Science, Amazon
- Moderated by Condoleezza Rice, Tad and Dianne Taube Director of the Hoover Institution; Thomas and Barbara Stephenson Senior Fellow on Public Policy, Stanford